Formals & More

Posts Tagged ‘sewing expo

Nothing major to post today. I had not even thought I would post anything, but I am waiting for my sweet husband to get home, and I know if I go to bed to read, I will just fall asleep. So here I am.

I am experiencing spring fever – the weather is finally starting to warm up, we have daffodils popping up all over the yard, and I see all the work that needs doing outside. Yet, now that I want to go out, I have SO MUCH work to do inside!

I went by the Sewing Expo here in Atlanta last Thursday. Have I mentioned that? Rather disappointing. I hadn’t really planned to go. Figured I would be way too busy ( which I really was – but choose to take a break anyway!). I took a last minute class on fabric embellishment techniques (just an hour class) which served to motivate and inspire.  Picked up several pieces of fabric from Vogue fabrics, a couple presser feet I’ve been wanting, some fabric for a baby gift I need to make, a couple patterns. Didn’t see anything wonderful or amazing. If I hadn’t gone, I wouldn’t really have missed anything. Rather disappointing.

Today I started an alterations marathon. It will last about 3 weeks, maybe more. I have to find time in there somewhere to get a wedding dress made for an order I got on Etsy for one of my dresses.  It will only take 3 days, but that is still 3 days I don’t have right now.  I finally got the fabric ordered today.  This is the dress she ordered – only in ivory, not white.

What will be time consuming is the embroidery and beading on the  waist band and straps.

I also have a veil to finish this week. It has a scalloped edge with beading all along the edge, also. It is due next friday, as are 4 dresses I am currently working on. Today was very frustrating. I was working on one of said dresses. Lots of work to do on this one. It is a Pronovious gown, satin with 3 layers of netting and lace over it. It needed taking in at the back and the sides of the bodice; she wanted the straight neckline made into a sweetheart neckline; beadwork done at the high waist line, french bustles, the lace hemmed, oh, and by the way, could you make it into a mermaid skirt, also? I had no idea what a nightmare it was going to turn into. The lace layer has beaded appliques that have to be removed and then re-applied (in the new seamline), none of the filmy netting or lace layers are the same width; there is no easy way to mark netting or lace – pins just fall out, fabric markers don’t show up enough, tape doesn’t stick well enough. I started this morning at 10 a.m. Got the back taken in, bodice sides taken in, sweetheart neckline done. At 10 p.m.I finished the 2 bottom layers of lace and netting (taking in for the mermaid skirt). But I am not happy with one side of the lace. Still have one more layer of netting to take in, then adjust the hem on the train to fit the new skirt, finish the lace hem, add the beading to the waistline, and the bustles. I thought (silly me!) that I should be able to get it done in one long day! HA! That will teach me to be optimistic! I have to finish it tomorrow though. Between running to town to feed my friends’ cats, run to the bank, appointment at 10:30 at the bridal shop, and another one at home at 4:30.  May be a late night . . .

Next time I will tell you about the ugliest wedding dress . . .


Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 1 other follower


Connect with me at